Apr 23, 2012

the past week and reflection

Has it really been a week since I blogged? ETA: Er, make that 2 weeks. Well, you can blame it on this cutie who has been occupying my time:


Showing off his wannabe elfin ear. I can hardly believe he's a month old already. Where does the time go??

I'm planning to make this wrap, but while I wait for the housekeeper to wash the fabric, I've been using my front pack. Isaac loves it. He complained the first time I put him in it but it didn't take long for him to snuggle up and get right to sleeping. Adrian and I walked to the park with him last week during one gorgeous, windy day.

I've been working on a few sewing projects as well. Isaac doesn't have many clothes right now so I've been dreaming up things to make for him. Of course, dreaming and doing are two different things. I suppose he has pajamas to wear but you know, I want cute clothes for him. ;) I made up a pants pattern that I still need to tweak, I'll show pictures once he actually wears them. Adrian also has a shirt that I made and I really love it even though it's already getting small. I made it right before Isaac was born and have yet to take pictures. 


A few days ago Jeff kicked me out of the house ALL BY MYSELF to go thrifting. I'm still thinking about it. I ran to St. Vinnie's in Ish where I always have good luck. I actually took the time to look through women's clothing this time and found a few things for myself including a pair of Levi's. Woohoo! I really need new jeans. I also found pants for the boys. I called Jeff as I was speeding through the kids clothes and found out that Isaac already had his bottle an hour before so I figured it was best to head home even though I still had much of the store to dig through. Either way, I filled a bag for $14 so I was pretty happy. That was my first time thrifting since a few weeks before Isaac's arrival. Oh how I have missed it, I can't wait to go again! 


I'm feeling pretty good, both physically and emotionally. I can't remember if I've said it here, but I feel so much better emotionally/mentally than I did after Adrian was born. A c-section isn't something most people imagine for the birth of their first child so it was a huge disappointment when that was the outcome. I remember feeling so let down and disconnected from my baby for quite a while. I hid it for the most part and kept it to myself. This time around, after everything that we went through to have such a successful vbac (did I say, no complications whatsoever?!) I feel so great/happy/victorious/fulfilled. I was able to bond with Isaac so much sooner. I realize that not everyone has that instant connection, especially with the first, but having a birth that you're hardly involved in and then having your baby whisked away for the next hour or two certainly doesn't help.
A friend of mine--who had also had a c-section--commented that she thought it might be a disappointment after giving birth naturally just thinking about what you missed the first time around. Her comment really made me think. The truth is, I don't feel that way at all. Instead, I'm so happy to have finally experienced the process of natural birth. It's more like, "Oh! This is what it's supposed to be like!" rather than a reminder that I didn't have that choice the first time.

Isaac continues to be a happy baby. We were chatting with our downstairs neighbor today (telling her that we're officially house-hunting!) and she said he must be a good baby because she has hardly heard him cry. So true. He cries when he's hungry or wants to be held. And hello, he's a month old, of course he wants to be held. It's a good reminder for me to keep taking it easy, plus I just love snuggling him! He's starting to smile which is seriously awesome. I've been trying to get a picture but doggone, he just won't cooperate for the camera. He just melts my heart.

Tomorrow I plan to sew. Can't wait!

4 comments:

Gram said...

Really cute little guy.

Jodi Ann said...

Your boys are so so cute! I can only imagine how busy they keep you :) Yay for a thrifting trip all by yourself! And you know, I can relate so well to the whole not bonding right away with my first. I didn't have a c-section, but lots of complications and afterwards they had to give me stuff to put me to sleep because I'd lost a lot of blood and I woke up hours later without having seen my little guy. It was weird and definitely took a little longer to bond, like you said. My second was much easier, like yours. I'm glad you're doing well!!

Sara said...

Fun to get an update! He is just so sweet.

~ Jennifer J. said...

Your two little guys are so cute! Love A's glasses and sweatshirt. haha. :)

Carter has a pointy elfin ear, too. And I think he thought it was pretty cool that Aria has one as well! (It comes from Grandpa H's side of the family. He had one, too.)

~ J