Jun 29, 2011

Banana-Nut Baked Oatmeal

I was searching for a recipe for baked oatmeal the other day and couldn't find one with just the right ingredients so I made up my own. I had overripe bananas and pecans on hand so I made Banana-Nut Baked Oatmeal.
Here is my very rough recipe (as in, I didn't measure much so I'm guessing here but hey, it's oatmeal!)

The night before:
Soak 3 cups of old fashioned oats in 3 cups of liquid (you could use milk or water, I used a mixture of rice milk and water because that stuff is expensive!) Refrigerate.

In the morning combine,
3 mashed, overripe bananas
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup plain yogurt (flavored varieties would work as well but we make ours so, plain it is!)
1/4 cup ground flax seed, optional
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp baking powder OR 1 tsp baking soda (I went the soda route but most baked oatmeal recipes call for powder)
1/4-1/2 cup honey (I probably used 1/4 cup, with the sweetness from the ripe bananas it was just right for us.)
oat mixture
pecans or other nuts, optional

Mix it up really well and pour it into a 9x13. Sprinkle nuts on top if you didn't mix them in. (I mixed mine but I wish I had put them on top, I had to 'dig' through Adrian's oatmeal before I gave it to him to make sure there were no nuts.) I used a glass dish so I baked it at 325 for about 35 minutes. If you use a different pan you could bump the temp up to 350 and I would guess that it would only take around 20 minutes.

 Adrian and I loved it! I think Adrian ate half the pan...which is only slightly more than what I ate. ;)

3 comments:

Yvonne said...

sounds delish! did it turn out like a pan-pancake then?

Heidi Lassila said...

Yvonne, it turns out a little creamier than your average baked oatmeal but heavier than a pancake.

Sara said...

sounds good!!