Jun 24, 2011

Just Something I Made

Last week, before heading north, I was worrying about what in the world I would wear if we went swimming. This is when you laugh. Remember? It rained all weekend and temperatures hovered in the 50's. Anyways, the tankini that I had used last year was too big considering well, uh, Adrian is nearly two now so um, anyways, it was too big.

I have had this bikini for years that still fits but, that was it. I also had a tankini that I though might work but nope, way too big, I don't know how it ever fit. And considering the way it was constructed, I couldn't just resize it to make it work. So, I combined the two!

I chopped off the bottom of the tankini and brought the side seams in a little bit, then I sewed it to the bikini top. I pulled the straps around to the back and pinned them together, cutting off the excess fabric. I sewed the new 'band' to the back of the tankini. Now it looks like this:

I did add a few more rows of stitching to make sure it would lay right, it looks a little bumpy in this picture but when I'm wearing it, the band lays flat. I messed up on the back so I'm not showing a picture...when I pinned the straps together I didn't pay attention to whether they were in the middle so it's uneven and one part is thicker than the other (picture the way a swimsuit strap tapers). I was trying to figure out a way to fix it since I already cut the fabric but in the end I decided that I really didn't care enough to redo it. My whole idea was that I didn't want to spend money on a new swimsuit this year. Goal accomplished!


jean said...


Amanda Kay said...

Way to go!

Yvonne said...

wow! such talent Heidi! love the combination.

Irish Attic Refashions said...

I'm one of the editors of Refashion Co-op (a blog that showcases refashion projects with contributors from all over the world). I'd love it if you would like to post any of your refashions on our Facebook page with links back to your blog (of course). -Kathleane