Jun 8, 2012

A Gluten-free, Dairy-free Recipe

I recently committed to eating wheat-free and dairy-free. We've been eating wheat-free at home since Adrian is intolerant to wheat and we eat very little dairy since he doesn't tolerate a lot of dairy either. (Sorry if I'm repeating myself for the 17th time.) I was already preparing myself to make the switch when I was pregnant thinking that there was a good chance that Isaac would have the same intolerance's. Sure enough, he started getting eczema, just like Adrian, while I was eating wheat and dairy. I cut it out and his skin is clear again. The dairy is much harder than the wheat but we're figuring it out. The key is completely changing the way we cook. I can substitute only so much before it completely changes the taste. So, one day while I was trying to decide what to make for dinner (menu planning? what's that?) I starting throwing something together. Jeff called it Orange Root Soup. I called it delicious. See recipe below.

Today, we are sweating in our apartment dreaming of our hopefully-not-as-sweaty house. That we should be moving into next month!! We are super excited to have found a house and we're in the process of all that needs to be done before we can call it ours. I really know what I'm talking about, huh? I think we're waiting for an appraiser now so that's about where we are if you know anything about buying a house. And I don't. I just know that there are walls that want to be painted. And no wood paneling. And no sun streaming in the windows first thing in the morning making our home a million degrees. And a nice, neat little yard to play in. And a deck with plenty of room for a kiddie pool. Haha! I would jump in there right now if I could.

Anyways, while I try to figure out what to make for tonight's supper (we just had this soup last night) so we can maybe go swimming in the lake before it starts to storm again and since my baby is waking up from his little 3-hour afternoon nap, here is that recipe:



Orange Root Soup

Olive oil
1 onion, sliced
2 carrots, sliced
3 celery stalks, sliced
1/2 tsp rosemary, crushed
1/4 tsp thyme
4 c chicken broth
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
2 c chicken, cooked and cubed or shredded
salt and pepper to taste

Cook onions, carrots, and celery in oil over low heat until onions are caramelized.
Add rosemary and thyme, Cook and stir for one minute.
Stir in chicken broth, chicken, and sweet potatoes. Simmer 10 minutes or until sweet potatoes are soft.
Add salt and pepper to taste. 

Enjoy!

4 comments:

~ Jennifer J. said...

I thought it was good, by the way!

P.S. I was chuckling in your email about the chicken 'brother' - you must have just copied and pasted into your blog. ;) I wasn't sure where to add the chicken so I just added mine when I did the potatoes and it was fine - but maybe you add it after you simmer the potatoes? I did mine during so it could start to absorb some of the flavors.

I doubled mine but didn't quite double the rosemary or thyme but it still was really good. I was afraid they might be overpowering if I did - but it may have been fine! I was more cautious 'cause Mark doesn't love rosemary like I do.

~ J

~ Jennifer J. said...

I never thought much about how the food we eat while we're nursing affects the baby before with my other three - but this time around I'm so much more aware of it after Carter's peanut allergy.

Aria was getting some yucky cradle cap until three weeks ago when I cut out all dairy and wheat and grains. I can't believe how much she cleared up! I just noticed now after reading this. It's completely gone.

Gram said...

Looks yummy.

Amanda Kay said...

And to me, it's so much easier to cut out dairy over wheat!!