Feb 7, 2011

Oh Yum!

I may have posted this before but Martha Stewart's Salted Caramel filled Chocolate Cupcakes are ridiculously good! I tried to find the original recipe on her website but I couldn't find it, here is where I found it. They are easy to make but very time consuming. I made the cupcakes the day before and then filled and frosted them the next day. Yum, yum, yum....I made them once about a year ago and they came to mind when I was trying to figure out what to make for the Super Bowl. I think mine turned out better the first time around. This time, I decided to try Ina Garten's caramel sauce recipe instead of the one included with the cupcake recipe. It was awesome but I didn't put enough caramel in each cupcake so they just weren't as good. I also didn't have any semi-sweet chocolate for the frosting and, of course, didn't realize it until it was too late. I ended up using Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Frosting. I added extra milk to thin it so I could just dip the cupcakes rather than spreading the frosting. Except...I added too much milk so it ended up looking really sloppy. Oh dear. But really, if you follow all of the original recipes it turns out great! (Hey, I never claimed to know how to bake!) Also, the first time I used the right frosting recipe and it was thin enough (at first anyway) to dip the cupcakes and  they looked  really nice. I don't really get into fancy frosting because I'm horrible at it so this little trick is nice to know!

2 comments:

~ Junkyard Jennifer said...

Those sound really good! Nikayda wants chocolate cake with caramel frosting... maybe I could try this one. (If I have all the ingredients.)

~ J

~ Junkyard Jennifer said...

P.S.
I'm a die-hard milk chocolate fan. Do you think I'd like the dark chocolate frosting...?

~ J