Feb 10, 2011

Chicken Noodle Soup

I recently commented on a facebook post from Kiwi Magazine about my chicken noodle soup. One of the editors contacted me about sharing my recipe. We eat this stuff a lot so I've had ample opportunity to play with the ingredients and spices. However, I have never taken the time to write it down until now. (Yeah, I do remember posting a recipe a long time ago but please disregard that, I'm sure it's completely different than this one.)

Chicken Noodle Soup (with Homemade Egg Noodles)

bones and skin from whole chicken
4 medium carrots, cut into large pieces
3-4 celery stalks, cut into large pieces
1 large onion, cut into large pieces
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 bay leaves
2 Tbsp sea salt, or to taste
1 Tbsp plus 2 tsp basil, or to taste
pepper, to taste
2 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
1/2 recipe of egg noodles (recipe included) or 1/2 lb of egg noodles from the store

Place ingredients thru pepper into a large saucepan (I use a 5 1/2-quart saucepan). Add water to within 1 1/2 inches from top. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1-2 hours. Some additional water can be added if it evaporates. Strain ingredients, return liquid to saucepan. Discard bones, skin, and bay leaves. Slice or chop vegetables and return to pot.
Meanwhile, make egg noodles (recipe from Pioneer Woman):


2 whole eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
Combine eggs and flour, knead several minutes until dough is smooth. Add flour as necessary if dough is very sticky. Let rest for about 20 minutes. Shape dough into a rough rectangle (there is no need to be precise). Using a rolling pin, roll dough as thin as you can. Use a pizza wheel or long, sharp knife to cut noodles into 1/4-inch strips, then cut strips to desired length. Fill a medium saucepan with salted water, bring to a boil. Add half of noodles, return to boil, and boil for about 5 minutes. Strain. (Remaining, uncooked, noodles can be dried or frozen for later use.)
Add cooked noodles and shredded chicken to vegetables in large saucepan. Once chicken is heated through, the soup is ready to be served! We like ours with fresh homemade whole wheat bread!


Now, I'm a little nervous about sharing this even still. I already sent it to the editor so hopefully it tastes great...it's hard to figure out exact amounts when I never bother to measure. The last few times I made it I tried to make a mental note of the approximate measurements so let's hope I'm close! If you make it let me know how it turned out! I, in turn, will follow this very recipe the next time I make it. Even though I'm scared. (I'm my own worst critic, I know! I'm sure it's fine!)

Enjoy!

ETA: The editor replied saying that they won't be posting this recipe in the article she was working on. They were looking for quick meals but she'll hold onto this in case she can use it in future food articles.
Omitting the cooked chicken, this is the same recipe I use for broth.

2 comments:

Amanda Kay said...

Bummer! Maybe next time you will be published!

Amanda Kay said...

Following your recipe today. Just wish it was more of a cold soggy day so we could really enjoy it!