Jun 17, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie

Mmmm, we love chicken pot pie around here. It is definitely a more tedious meal but, so worth it! I thought I'd share the recipe I use. It is a slight variation of Marijane's recipe from the "H" family cookbook.

Chicken Pot Pie

2-3 potatoes, cubed
1/4 c butter
1/2 c onion
1/2 c flour
3/4 c milk
2 c chicken broth
1/2 tsp salt (or more)
1/4 tsp pepper (or more)
1 tsp sage
1 1/2 tsp basil
2 Tbsp parsley
3 c chicken or turkey, cooked and chopped
3 c frozen vegetables

Crust:

3 c flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 c butter
1/2 c canola oil
4-6 Tbsp cold water

Boil potatoes about 10 minutes until soft (not too soft, they will continue to cook in the oven). In saucepan, cook onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour, salt, sage, basil, pepper, chicken broth, and milk. Cook and stir until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat. Meanwhile, combine flour and salt in a bowl. Cut butter into flour until crumbly. Add oil and toss with a fork until well combined. Add water, 1 Tbsp at a time, tossing with a fork each time until well combined. The dough should be just moist enough to roll our without crumbling. Divide dough in half, roll to fit bottom and sides of 9x13" pan. In a separate bowl, combine chicken, potatoes, and frozen vegetables. Pour into crust. Pour the broth/milk mixture over top and cover with remaining dough. Cut holes in top to vent. Bake at 450 until crust is golden. (Original recipe says 15-20 minutes but I think mine actually takes around 40 minutes.)

The original recipe also calls for 1/4 cup chopped pimento but I have never been able to find it and it is still delicious without it!

1 comments:

Loretta Marie said...

Thanks Heidi! I'm picking up the ingredients I'm missing for this tonight so I can make it for dinner tomorrow!

p.s. I finished my sewing project you were curious about. :)