Feb 4, 2010

Make yourself a dang Quesa-DILL-a!

We had quesadillas for supper last night and I completely forgot to get tortillas! Oh no. I've been terrible this week. I have a meal plan, I just don't have all my grocery shopping done! I was all ready to start making supper and realized I forgot the most important part. And then, inspired by Alton Brown, I decided to make my own! The first recipe I tried called for softened butter and they didn't turn out quite like I had imagined. The second called for oil and they were so much easier to make although, I have to admit, I haven't actually tried them yet. I didn't have enough tortillas from the first recipe to make lunch for today.


As if I needed another from-scratch item to add to my list. I am really glad that I did make them however, because now I know how easy it is. I could probably make a whole bunch one day and throw them in the freezer. I can tell you that making them at home is much cheaper than buying them! And probably a lot tastier too. (I'll let you know!) I had wanted to make them with whole wheat but I'm running low on wheat flour and bread trumps tortillas. I should see if I can find a recipe for corn tortillas too...mmmm, that sounds good.

ETA: The tortillas were really good! They were plain flour tortillas so they pretty much tasted like store-bought but better of course. Homemade always is! The recipe I used is from goodLife [eats] (that's a direct link to the recipe) found via foodgawker). I should add that the original recipe calls for whole wheat flour which I would have loved to use but like I said before, I was running low. Also, the instructions are for using a tortilla press, I just used a rolling pin and did it the "old-fashioned" way. Make sure they are really thin! I basically rolled mine until I couldn't flatten them any more and that was using most of my body weight to press down.

9 comments:

Amanda Kay said...

What do you put in them? That looks like an easy idea for tonight...hmmm.....now to think if I have ANYTHING in this house that would go in them! I do have black beans, to me those would be delish, Paul not so much!

Anonymous said...

yummmmmm..... =]

Katie said...

I never thought about trying to make these from scratch. I'm going to give it a shot!

~ Junkyard Jennifer said...

I've been wanting to make my own for months. Let me know if you like the recipe you used!

I feel like all the store tortillas 'stink', and who knows what's in them... (Although, I haven't tried any of the natural or organic ones yet.)

I have chicken from supper, maybe I'll try making some for lunch tomorrow. We'll see how ambitious I feel!

Amanda Kay said...

I made quesadilla sauce tonight - mayonnaise with diced chilli and cumin, garlic, paprika and something else in it. There was a recipe online I found. There was too much cumin for my liking, but it was good!

Heidi Lassila said...

Amanda, that sauce sounds good. I think I'll look around online for some other ideas next time. There are so many possibilites for quesadillas! And since it's so cheap (especially now when I can make my own torillas!) I'll be making them more often!

Sue said...

I made some not too long ago but didn't get them thin enough and they puffed up when I cooked them...so they were more like gordita's but still good. I can't find the recipe I used so I'm glad you posted one, I'm going to try it.

Emily said...

Well... Suzy Homemaker.. I never would have thought to make my own! I'm going to have to try that recipe sometime.

Katie @ goodLife {eats} said...

So glad you liked the tortilla recipe!