Oct 9, 2012

Kale and Butternut Squash Soup

I have had an idea for this soup floating around in my head for a while now. Recently, I made roasted acorn squash stuffed with sausage and it was awesome. Adrian loved it too. Basically, squash and sausage are amazing together. Here is the recipe I threw together yesterday, it was delish. If you like Zuppe Toscana (from Olive Garden), you'll like this soup.


Please, no awards for my stunning photography.

(That was sarcasm.)


Kale and Butternut Squash Soup

Ingredients:

1 lb italian sausage
4 stalks celery, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 to 1 medium butternut squashed, peeled and cubed into 1/2 in pieces*
6 cups chicken broth
1 cup quinoa, rinsed (overnight soaking recommended but not necessary.)
5 or more leaves of kale, thick stems removed, roughly chopped
1 tsp salt or to taste
pepper to taste (you won't need much with the sausage)

Directions:

Brown sausage with celery and onion. Drain fat. Add garlic and butternut squash, saute for several minutes. Add chicken broth and quinoa and simmer until squash is tender and quinoa is translucent, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in kale.

*I used 1/2 of a squash only because I wanted to roast the rest to use in my oatmeal this morning. It was really good with this amount but I wish there was just a little bit more.

3 comments:

Tonya Darner said...

I make Zuppa Tuscana all of the time. We love it! I will have to give this recipe a go. The picture alone is making me hungry. :)

Sara said...

sounds yummy!!

~ Jennifer J. said...

This soup is fantastic! We loved it. I like zip and only had mild Italian sausage on hand so I added some cayenne red pepper and plenty of fresh cracked pepper. I can't wait to eat the leftovers tomorrow!