Mar 10, 2012

Day 10: Something I Made

I've been collecting magazine pages for the last several months with the intention of making paper beads. Have you ever made them? They are really easy, I think I was about 10 the first time I made them. The trick is to use really thick paper so I've been holding onto magazine covers with pretty colors.


I found a size that I liked, somewhere around a half-inch, and used my paper cutter to cut triangles. Then, I used my fingers (I wrecked my paintbrush last time I used mod-podge because I didn't clean it very well...) to spread mod-podge on the side of the triangle that I wanted on the inside and starting on the wide side, used the wooden skewer to roll it up nice and tight. I finished them off with a bit more mod-podge to seal it all together.


I have yet to make anything with them, I really just wanted to get the pages off my desk.

I know there are organizations out there where impoverished women make and sell jewelry made from recycled paper beads. Some of them use posters to make big chunky beads, they look awesome. A friend of mine has a colorful necklace that was made by one of these organizations and it looks really cool with the big beads. She said she didn't even realize they were paper beads until someone else pointed it out.

4 comments:

Gram said...

That is so neat. Don't remember ever seeing this before. Does the skewer get all sticky with the glue? Making it hard to pull out? I want to try this...

Carol said...

These look like fun! It crossed my mind to try and make one for a "fun" picture, but the day slid away and it never happened.

Heidi Lassila said...

Gram, I didn't put glue at the very end, otherwise it would have been next to impossible to get off. The glue dries really fast and all you need is a very light coat. Some of them were still hard to pull off, the glue eventually makes it's way to the skewer. I was able to scrape it off a bit and after so many beads switched ends and then just got a new skewer. I figure I've had the same pack of skewers for about 5 years so I can probably afford to go through a few. ;)

Gram said...

thanks for the added info. haa. i have the same package of skewers since 15 years ago. Tells you how often I make shishkabobs.