Apr 15, 2011

LOOK WHAT I FOUND!!

A few days ago, I walked to a few local thrift shops. By myself! Jeff wasn't working that day and Adrian was napping. It was a perfectly wonderful day for a walk and going by myself with many hours to spare, I kind of felt like a single teenager again. I can't remember the last time I took a leisurely walk...
I spent several hours slowly browsing each store, drooling over Pyrex dishes all the while. Oh how I love vintage Pyrex dishes! I was on a mission to find a bookshelf but I didn't mind the other distractions. There is one shop in particular that always has tons of furniture. Really nice furniture. Like, crazy lots of furniture. This shop is kind of weird though, it gives me the creeps every time I go in but still check it out every time hoping that just once I'll find something I'm looking for. Like a mid-century modern bookcase. When I walked in, I didn't see anyone else, this is normal. I swear the guy that runs it is like a phantom. He popped out rather quickly this time (sometimes I don't see him at all) to say 'hi' and that he was having a sale--he's always having a sale. I asked about the bookcase style I was looking for and he clearly had no idea what I was talking about as he directed me to the basement and more 'stuff.' I looking around, as always, a little afraid to go in the basement. It is so crowded with stuff, you have to squeeze through tiny little walkways to get around and it's so quiet...anyways, I didn't find anything and breathed a sigh of relief as soon as I was outside again. I should mention that the guy running the place doesn't creep me out, he's kind of an absent-minded sort of person and has never bothered me in the least. He's just always hiding out somewhere and I can't see him or hear him. I don't know where he goes, maybe he lives upstairs??
I found a Pyrex percolator at another shop a few months ago and I went in there hoping to find a bookcase because I remembered seeing a bunch of furniture in the basement of that building. Which wasn't creepy at all, by the way. I was a little confused when I walked in and the whole store looked different, the people working there were unfamiliar, and the basement was closed off. Not to mention that the place looked half empty. Turns out, there were new owners, the previous owner moved across the street to another (humongous, old bank) building. Anyways, it was at this shop that I found this little lady and I wasn't even looking for one! I guess that's just how it goes!


This is the only thing I bought that day but man, I was pumped!


You'll notice it's a little crooked; I was playing around with it and didn't put it back just right.  This dress form is way more customizable than the ones being made now. And I got it for $50!


I'm so excited to start using it--just as soon as I can figure it out. It adjusts from the inside (I forgot to get a picture) and there are no measurements so it might be a little trickier than the newer models but I'm sure I will love it once I get the hang of it.
The manual was taped inside but it didn't give me any more hints. It originally comes with a stretchy sleeve that slips over the entire thing for a smoother surface for pinning (I'll have to post a picture once it's all adjusted to show why this would be useful) but it was nowhere to be found. I'm sure I can make something down the road if I feel like I need it.
If nothing else, I can start using it for making skirts right away, that should be easy to adjust for!

9 comments:

Sharyn said...

Score!!!

Amanda Kay said...

Awesome!

Kaitlin said...

Jealous!!!

Emily said...

Awesome find!!! I imagine you are going to love having that!!

Yvonne said...

maybe it's creepy cuz it's haunted...

~ Junkyard Jennifer said...

Still super jealous! ;) And so happy for you! That was such a fantastic find (and deal)! You're going to love having it.

~ J

P.S. Yvonne's probably right. :)

Heidi Lassila said...

I know, that's what I was thinking but didn't really want to acknowledge! I went in there with Jeff's family when they were up here a year or so ago and they thought it was kind of creepy too!

Sara said...

Awesome Find! How fun! :)

Gram said...

Great find! Didn't I just ask you if you had one? For the nice creations that you make, you certainly are the rightful owner.