Oct 14, 2009

Our trip south

If chocolate chips cookies are "healthified" you can eat as many as you want, right? (My sister Emily's recipe from the Magnolia Lane cookbook.)

I hadn't intended to take a week-long break from blogging but when we went downstate for five days it just sort of happened! And you know I was sitting around twiddling my thumbs the entire time...

Actually, I wasn't. I wish I was. Well, sort of. The thing is, every time we go downstate to "visit our families" we end up running around like headless chickens. This past weekend was no different. In those five days, we attended several church services (it was fall services for that area), went to a wedding (outside), played the guest of honor at a baby shower (I did, not Jeff), and did some shopping (nothing too serious). Did I forget anything?

Friday was probably the most relaxing day. We had arrived late the night before, leaving once Jeff got out of work. I went garage saleing with my Mom and sister-in-law. Or tried to anyway. We went to one of the three we had planned and didn't get anything (one had a sign posted reading "rain delay"). So we went to Salvation Army instead. This particular one is fairly new and it is HUGE! I found a few things for Adrian. I wish I would have had the time (and money) to look for things for myself. I mean, there is seriously so much there. My shopping experience was cut short by a little...er, we'll just say, a little stinky situation. (Why does that always happen when I'm out and about?)

Saturday was the wedding. Jeff's cousin got married in a cornfield behind his grandpa's house. Well, not literally. The cornfield was more of a backdrop. It was really pretty with the fall leaves scattered everywhere. I'm realizing, as I type this, that I never got a picture of the bride and groom. We, however, got yet another family picture!

We went to church on Sunday and managed to see both sides of the family. It was fun to see my brother Brad's baby. She's grown so much! Besides that, she is tall for her age (7 months) so when she was rolling around on the floor, I was ready for her to jump up and start walking!

I did some running with my mom on Monday and then headed over to see Jeff's family before the baby shower that my mother-in-law hosted that evening. (Thanks again!) I enjoyed seeing everyone at the shower, Adrian is not lacking in the clothing department anymore! Besides what I got Monday night, I also received a ton of hand-me-downs from Jeff's cousin who has two boys. I'm still working on sorting through everything to see what he still needs as far as pants and shirts. I have stacks of clothes piled up on my couch. A friend of mine stopped by this evening and was telling me about a clothing sale of sorts at a local elementary school this weekend. So that's my deadline to get all this stuff figured out!

We left Tuesday evening to head back home. Jeff and I both agreed that we should leave earlier in the day next time. He's working afternoon shift so it's not really a big deal for him to be up so late (it's a 7 hour trip). But, it would be nice to have some time to unpack and unwind before going to bed. As it was, when we got in last night (or this morning?) we only brought in what we absolutely needed. And our car was stuffed! We ended up hauling the rest of our stuff in this morning before running out grocery shopping and I still haven't unpacked.

We pulled in around 2:00 a.m. and surprise, surprise, Adrian was still up at 8:30 this morning! I didn't sleep much in the car, I get too nervous that late at night. Needless to say, I'm pretty exhausted by now. I had this list about a mile long of things I had wanted to get accomplished today. I'm trying to think of one thing that I did get done...oh yeah, I went grocery shopping. Yet another reason to come home earlier in the day. Every time we get back from a trip I have to go shopping the next morning. It'd be nice to get it done that day rather than waking up hungry and knowing there is nothing to eat for breakfast!

Well, I'm off to bed! This momma is tired!
Good night!

P.S. I had wanted to post pictures but I can't find my camera and I have this sinking feeling that I forgot it at my Mom and Dad's...and it's too late to call. I guess I'll find out tomorrow. I'm crossing my fingers that it's around here somewhere!

ETA: Brad's daughter is 8 1/2 months, not 7. Whoops! I can't keep track anymore!


Amanda Kay said...

Well, that's a catcher-upper for sure!!! Glad you had a good time, busy and all!

PS: Lydia is almost 9 mos...not 7 silly!

Sara said...

Sounds like you had fun!! :)

~ Junkyard Jennifer said...

Glad you guys had fun!