Jun 16, 2009

Turkey Noodle Soup

I made some delicious turkey noodle soup today. Jeff was pretty impressed since it was all made from scratch. As scratchy as I could make it anyway. I even made the noodles! (Using the recipe from Pioneer Woman's blog.)

I figured I'd put it on here if anyone is interested. I kinda sorta just threw it together so bear with me here!

Turkey/chicken Noodle Soup

Lots of water
Bony chicken or turkey pieces (I only happened to have 2 drumsticks that were already cooked, raw would be better)
Meaty chicken or turkey pieces
3-4 carrots
3-4 celery stalks
1 onion
2-3 bay leaves
1/4 to 1/2 tsp each of
sage
thyme
basil
(I wasn't sure which to use so I just put them all) :)
1 Tbsp parsley
salt and pepper to taste

Cut veggies into large pieces. Note: I like to scrub carrots rather than peeling them to keep all those vitamins where they belong! Add veggies, bony turkey/chicken pieces, bay leaves and seasonings. Bring to a boil, simmer for at least an hour. Remove bony pieces and bay leaves. Discard bay leaves. Chop veggies to desired size. Add meaty pieces and simmer until cooked through. Add chopped veggies.

From here, you could either use store-bought egg noodles or make your own. (I promise, it's easy!!) I boiled the noodles separately and stirred them into each bowl rather than adding them to the pot.



Enjoy!

I should add that all of my turkey was precooked from a previous meal. I just added the frozen, cooked turkey at the end and simmered til it was heated through. It still tasted great! In fact...I think I could eat another bowl now, we ate at 4! (It's now 11:30!!)

7 comments:

Yvonne said...

love the bowl shot; the color especially. isn't it fun taking pictures of food.

Julie L said...

This looks fantastic! I need to get my buns in gear with my meals... I've been seriously lacking. I'm going to have to try this, thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe! I am going to make this tonight! :)

Sara said...

oops....that's me that is going to try this tonight!

Sara said...

My house is filled with a Wonderful aroma! :) I also have French bread rising......looking forward to meal time! :)

Sara said...

Delicious soup!! :) Wish I could say the same for my bread (I used my white whole wheat flour but I found out it doesn't work good to use it alone in bread!) Oh! and I made the noodles and again used my white whole wheat - they were 'ok' - not sure if that is how homemade noodles are supposed to be or if it was my flour again. (thinking its the flour) Hey - I'm learning as I go!! (haha) And thanks for the recipe!!

Anonymous said...

that looks really good!

love,
Katie lassila